Lodahl's blog: My Linux: Episode 3

31 August 2008

My Linux: Episode 3

Am I tired ?

Guess.

I have spent all day trying to get my old e-mail store (inbox, folders, accounts, mail rules etc.) moved from my old Windows XP machine to Ubuntu Linux.

  • I think I'we got all the extensions installed now
  • I created the POP3 account manually
  • I managed to move the inbox and all local folders. The file structure is not exactly the same, so I spent about two hours figuring that out
  • I think I'll create new mail rules over the next couple of weeks
I also wanted to upgrade OpenOffice.org 2.4 to 3.0 (developer snapshot). I didn't succeed that one :-( I still can't figure out how to install packages manually. I think that root thing in a terminal window is rather tricky. Is it surposed to be that difficult ?

Oh, and I also got my Pidgin configured with some of my chat accounts.

Think I'll turn in now. It's been a long day. For Tux and me ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sudo dpkg -i folder/to/openoffice3.0/*

take coffee

Start OpenOffice.org 3 from /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

Anonymous said...

Lidt hurtig google-fu fandt https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive. Bare tilføj de to linjer for Hardy Heron til enten /etc/apt/sources.list eller en tom fil (f.eks. ooo.list) i /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, kør "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" i en terminal, og du burde være kørende.

Og ellers kan http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy anbefales.

Leif Lodahl said...

sudo dpkg -i folder/to/openoffice3.0/*

Sorry, the result is this:

-bash: ooobasis3.0-base_3.0.0-3_i386.deb: No such file or directory

Leif Lodahl said...

Lidt hurtig google-fu fandt https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive. Bare tilføj de to linjer for Hardy Heron til enten /etc/apt/sources.list eller en tom fil (f.eks. ooo.list) i /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, kør "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" i en terminal, og du burde være kørende.

Tak for det :-)

Først skulle jeg lige finde ud af, at jeg måtte skifte til root først -øv.

Nå, men det gik også fint og så kunne jeg åbne en texteditor (efter at jeg lige skulle finde ud af at starte den fra Termiinalen).

Tilføje linjer ...
update/upgrade ...

Den henter godt nok en masse ting, men der er ingen OpenOffice.org til mig.

Øv. Hvorfor f... skal det være så svært ?

trolden said...

Hent .deb file ned på din disk og kør den lokalt som Alexandro Colorado beskriver. Det burde virke.

http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/

Og jeg formoder at du har forstået at /folder.... er der hvor .deb filen ligger.

/erik